2020 General Election Voter's Pamphlet Statement
A 2018 PEW poll found only 40% of American have a favorable view of either the Democratic or Republican parties. In a recent poll 61% of Americans and 71% of millenials said we need a third major party. Are you one of them?
The Independent Party of Oregon (IPO) is that third party.
• We’re the fastest growing party in Oregon, adding over 120,000 members since 2007.
• We have 31 candidates on the general election ballot for statewide and legislative offices.
• About 6.5% of all local office holders (city council members, commissioners, mayors) are IPO members.
• We’re highly informed, rational, non-tribal voters.
• We support policies that are good for all citizens, even when it means we share in some sacrifice.
• Our platform is fiscally responsible, socially liberal, and environmentally aware.
• We fight to prevent big money from buying government policy at all levels of government.
If you agree, send a message: CHANGE YOUR REGISTRATION TO INDEPENDENT PARTY.
Search: “Oregon voter registration“ and click on “Update“
Ordinary citizens don’t have enough influence over government policy. Government is not accountable, and politics has become too partisan and dominated by special interests and their money. There is not enough problem-solving.
We work to:
• Oppose spending on inefficient government programs.
• Reduce special interest and “big money“ influence over all government processes.
• Increase transparency in government, especially on how tax dollars are spent.
• Improve education and job training opportunities for Oregonians.
• Protect the environment from all types of insult.
• Protect Oregon consumers from ripoffs and abuse.
• Provide incentives for business creation and expansion in Oregon, but only if the incentives return greater public benefit than they cost.
We have led several fights in the Oregon Legislature for effective disclosure of campaign contributions, for transparency in government, and for more citizen participation in elections.
Our 2020 expanded platform (indparty.com/platform) is based on our member surveys. Our goal is to align public policies with the priorities of ordinary citizens in the areas of health care, education, campaign and ethics reform, and environmental policy.
See our past Voters’ Pamphlet statements at indparty.com/vp.
COMMUNITY BASED CANDIDATES
We support candidates who have the backing and trust of their local communities, not the special interests that dominate the Republican and Democratic agendas. These special interests accounted for 97 percent of the $133 million spent on Oregon
political campaigns in 2016 and most of the $31 million spent on state-level lobbying. In contrast, our small-donor democracy program provides support services for first time candidates.
WE ARE HAVING AN IMPACT
In 2017, we began urging the Oregon Legislature to strengthen regulations on industrial polluters. Neither the Republicans nor Democrats would confront large polluters. 3/4ths of all industrial polluters in Oregon were operating under invalid permits that in some cases were decades old. The EPA in 2015 revealed that Multnomah County and Portland are among the
1 to 2 percent worst places in America for airborne illness – including lung cancer – due to the high levels of pollution from industrial and vehicle emissions, particularly diesel trucks.
After a 2018 audit by Oregon’s Secretary of State revealed that the Department of Environmental Quality was failing to meet its core regulatory functions, a coalition succeeded in passing the first major overhaul of the state’s regulation of industrial polluters in more than two decades.
We were central to the coalition that reformed campaign finance in Multnomah County in 2016 and Portland in 2018. We also led the way in stopping the Legislature from making Oregon’s campaign finance laws even worse. The Center for Public Integrity ranks Oregon’s campaign finance system as the worst in America – except for Mississippi.
OREGON BALLOT MEASURES:
YES on Measures 107, 108, 109, 110
REGISTER AS INDEPENDENT PARTY MEMBER AND VOTE
VOTE. THINK. BE. INDEPENDENT.
www.indparty.com — email@example.com