2015 Platform & Agenda

The Independent Party of Oregon favors reducing special interest influence over our government processes; increasing transparency in government, particularly with how our tax dollars are spent and how the public's business is conducted in Salem; protecting Oregon consumers, particularly with respect to banks, insurance companies and private utilities; providing incentives for small businesses to thrive and for larger businesses to expand in Oregon in a way that returns more benefits to the public than it costs.

Click this link to learn more

 

Fear of the Independent Party sparks partisan fireworks

by the Oregonian Editorial board
pubished July 3rd, 2015

Oregon's Democratic and Republican parties got a jump on Independence Day festivities last week by firing a bottle rocket at the Independent Party, which this year qualified for major party status. Brandishing the results of a poll conducted months earlier, leaders of the state's two dominant parties suggested that their upstart competitor has succeeded in large part because of trickery. Such is the power of fear that it can unite groups whose members have been kicking each others' shins in Salem for the past several months.

Bend Bulletin Editors Reject Democratic/Republican Attack on IPO

bendbulletin.com · June 27, 2015:

"The Independent Party of Oregon is less than two months away from becoming the state’s third major political party, and that’s troublesome to leaders of the current Big Two, Democrats and Republicans."

"Democrats and Republicans would prefer that the Independent Party stay minor. The status quo favors their candidates and ideologies. They know that if unaffiliated voters can cast ballots in a party’s primary, as the party wants, it’s likely to favor less politically “pure” candidates than is now the case. The Independent Party goes further than that, however, in advocating for a far simpler way of letting unaffiliated voters participate in primary elections than what’s used now. That would put pressure on the other two to change."

The Democratic and Republican Parties Attack IPO -- Again

We wondered why the House Rules Committee, with less than 2 days' notice, demanded that the leadership of IPO appear at the Committee session on June 24.

Now we know. The Democratic and Republican Parties had prepared an attack on IPO, based on a poll done in March 2015, and wanted to question IPO leaders before launching it in the press today.

The attack is based on a poll allegedly finding that 52% of IPO members are able to state, without prompting, that they are members of IPO.  Of the other 48%, however, 25% of those say that they want to keep their membership in IPO.

Oregon voters still leaving Dem and GOP parties

The Oregon Catalyst has published an article: Oregon voters still leaving Dem and GOP parties, which illustrates the change in Oregon voter registration over the past year.  Bottom line:  Fewer Democrats, Fewer Republicans, More IPO Members, and more NAVs.

"The biggest change in Oregon voter registration in the past 15 years has been the increase in the number of voters who are registering as something other than Democrats or Republicans.

In 2001 75% of Oregon voters were registered as Democrats or Republicans. As of last month, that number had fallen to 67%."

New voters and a new major party will disrupt D-R duopoly

by Tim Nesbitt
published by the Oregonian, February 26, 2015

In these partisan times, it is unusual for a political party to promote a change in election law that will make life harder for its candidates. And it is even more unusual for the opposing party to fight such a change. But that's what we're seeing now that Oregon has become a state with three major parties. A bill that looked predictably partisan in the Democratic-Republican duopoly will have unexpected effects in a state with three parties on its next primary election ballot.

Pages